My daughter and I recently went to Tom West Blueberries. We had such a fun time and got carried away with our blueberry picking. When we finally finished we had picked 3 1/2 lbs of blueberries! At this point my mind is racing on what to cook with so many blueberries…..muffins, pancakes, smoothies, toss them in salads, mix them with yogurt, ice cream, etc. I used a combination of blueberry cake recipes to come up with this one that turned out really great.
Here is what you’ll need:
For the Cake
- 1 cup butter
- 1¾ cups sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup milk – (you can use buttermilk instead of milk if you have it)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest in large bowl until smooth
- Add eggs and mix well
- Mix and combine dry ingredients together in a separate bowl
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture slowly until fully incorporated
- Carefully fold in blueberries
- Spray a large bundt cake pan or 2 large bread pans with non-stick baking spray – I use the one with flour added
- Pour batter evenly in the pan and bake for 55-60 minutes for the bread pans and 65-75 minutes for the bundt cake. Keep in mind that oven temps do vary so make sure to keep checking on your cake after the 60 min mark. Use a toothpick or fork to check if it’s done, the toothpick or fork should come out clean.
- Let loaves or cake cool completely
- Prepare glaze
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract or fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coconut milk – or regular milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
Once cake is cooled completely, release on to a platter or dish, drizzle glaze all over and enjoy.